Hello and welcome to Insider Investing. I’m Joe Ciolli, and I’m here to guide you through what’s been happening in markets, as well as what to expect in the coming weeks. Here’s what’s on the docket:
- Everyone is on the hunt for the next GameStop — which is to say a heavily shorted company that retail investors can rally around. Wells Fargo identified these 26 stocks that could be next, while Jefferies pinpointed 20 of their own.
- An exclusive interview with short-seller extraordinaire Carson Block. The Muddy Waters Research honcho explained to us how bubbles are forming in individual stocks like GameStop.
- Biden’s stimulus plan is heightening Wall Street’s worries that inflation will upend the stock market. We spoke to 4 experts on what the raging debate means for investors, and how to take advantage of it.
If you aren’t yet a subscriber to Insider Investing, you can sign up here.
Have thoughts on the newsletter? Just want to talk markets? Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
Your weekly outlook
If you expected GameStop mania to subside this past week, then you were sorely mistaken. The stock — and its similarly shorted brethren — took traders on a volatile ride, following steep sell-offs with torrid rallies. The so-called meme stocks are now well below highs, but also didn’t collapse immediately like many thought they would.
This recent price action has set up a make-or-break week of sorts for the Reddit revolution. Much of the focus will be on whether the retail-investor cohort can “hold the line” and avoid being swept up in profit-taking. Attention will also be paid to the brewing situation surrounding famed Wall Street Bets day trader Keith Gill, who’s under investigation as regulators look at his previous financial-advisement job.
Another lingering concern is that the Reddit legion will try to squeeze another heavily shorted asset. They already tried — and mostly failed — to do it with silver this past week. Given how that squeeze fizzled out, market watchers will be asking themselves if the jig is up, or if silver was just the wrong target.
The stimulus front will also be jam-packed with updates. President Joe Biden has made it clear that he’s going to push through his $1.9 trillion bill with or without GOP backing, and concrete progress is being made to that end.
To date, positive stimulus updates have been met with stock-market gains as traders scramble to price in a stronger economic recovery. And conversely, any hold-ups have seen sharp selling. Expect volatility along those lines as stimulus haggling continues into next week.
Hunting for the next GameStop
In the wake of GameStop mania, everyone from day traders to institutional investors are scrambling to scoop up shares of the next big short squeeze target. Firms across Wall Street have been busy analyzing the market and pinpointing such names they recommend buying now.
Read the full stories here:
Buy these 26 heavily shorted stocks as retail traders trigger wild rallies in Wall Street’s least liked names, Wells Fargo says
Jefferies says these 20 heavily shorted and lightly traded stocks could see big jumps in the event of a GameStop-like squeeze
An exclusive chat with short-seller extraordinaire Carson Block
In an exclusive interview, Carson Block of Muddy Waters Research explained to us how bubbles are forming in individual stocks like GameStop. The famed short-seller cites constant flows to passive investment vehicles, which he says is driving out active managers, leaving the market more vulnerable to sell-offs.
Read the full story here:
Famed short seller Carson Block says a new type of liquidity bubble is feeding the wild swings in day-trading favorites like GameStop — and that stocks have become a fragile ‘game’
How to contend with inflation fears stemming from stimulus
Inflation has not meaningfully risen in the US in several years, but waves of fiscal and monetary stimulus could change that and impact inflation-sensitive assets. Five experts dive into the prospects of an inflation comeback and how to position portfolios for it.
Read the full story here:
Biden’s stimulus plan is heightening Wall Street’s worries that inflation will upend the stock market. We spoke to 4 experts on what the raging debate means for investors, and how to take advantage of it.
Stock pick central
Seeking experts who are willing to name names? Look no further:
- GOLDMAN SACHS: Buy these 35 stocks that are unruffled by GameStop mania and set to rally as the economic recovery gains speed
- A fund manager who’s beaten 97% of his peers over the past 5 years shares 6 of the stocks he’s most bullish on as Biden takes a friendlier stance toward cannabis, electric vehicles, and more
- JPMorgan warns excess liquidity might cause a market bubble. The firm shares 42 stocks and 3 sector picks for investors looking to capitalize on the resulting volatility.
- Morgan Stanley says inflation is heating up and these are the 12 undervalued stocks in a ‘sweet spot’ that you need to own thanks to their pricing power
- Vanda Research’s new retail-investor tracker nailed silver and AMC as likely targets for a Reddit-driven short-squeeze. These are the 4 stocks it says could be the next GameStop.
- Buy these 4 stocks poised benefit from a spike in silver prices, says RBC Capital Markets — including 2 set to soar 73%
- Morgan Stanley handpicks 18 US stocks to buy for the best business models that deliver market-beating returns for years to come
- Jefferies says to buy these 24 stocks that represent its analysts’ highest-conviction picks for 2021
Source: Read Full Article